After the proclamation of independence on the 17th of August 1945, the Indonesian government has realized that education is of utmost important for progress so that a few days afterwards the Balai Perguruan Tinggi Republik Indonesia (BPTRI) or “The Republic of Indonesia Institute for Higher Education” was established in Jakarta consisting of the Faculties of Medicine and Pharmacy, Letters and Law, which had its first graduation of 90 medical doctors the same year.
When the Dutch colonial army occupied Jakarta at the end of 1945, the BPTRI moved to Klaten, Surakarta, Yogyakarta, Surabaya and Malang. Meanwhile, the Dutch colonial government, which by 1946 had occupied the big cities and surrounding areas in Indonesia, established a Nood Universiteit or “Emergency University” at Jakarta in 1946. In 1947 the name was changed into “Universitaet van Indonesie (UVI) or “University of Indonesia” After the end of Indonesian war of independence, when Jakarta became once again the capital of Indonesia, the government established a state university in Jakarta in February 1950 called, Universitaet Indonesia, comprising of units of the BPTRI and UVI. The name Universitaet Indonesia was later changed into Universitas Indonesia (UI).
In 1950, UI was a multi campus university with faculties in Jakarta (Medicine, Law, and Letters), Bogor (Agronomy and Veterinary Medicine), Bandung (Engineering, Mathematics and Natural Sciences), Surabaya (Medicine and Dentistry), and Makassar (Economics). In 1954, the Surabaya campus became Universitas Airlangga; in 1955 the Ujung Pandang campus became Universitas Hasanuddin; in 1959 the Bandung campus became Institut Teknologi Bandung (ITB or Bandung Institute of Technology), while the School for Physical Education, which was also located in Bandung, became part of Padjajaran University, in 1960. In 1964, the Bogor campus became Institut Pertanian Bogor (IPB or Bogor Agricultural University) and the Faculty of Education (FKIP) at Jakarta, became IKIP Jakarta. In a sense UI was the mother of several universities. In 1965, UI consisted of three campuses all in Jakarta, i.e. the Salemba Campus (Medicine, Dentistry, Economics, Engineering, Science and the Graduate School), the Rawamangun Campus (Letters, Law, Social Science and Psychology) and the Pegangsaan Campus (Public Health and parts of Medicine).
Based on the Indonesian Government Decree Number 152 dated 26th December 2000, the University has changed its status from a public university into an autonomous public university. The current autonomous status of the university requires the implementation of efficiency, effectivity, accountability and transparancy in its management.
Courtesy: UI official website
Filed under: Opini