How to buy travel insurance

By Nic Cicutti, MSN Money special correspondent
January 06 2005
Getting the right cover at the right price will save you a lot of money and give you peace of mind.
Bear with me, this is a confession of financial ineptitude from someone who should know better.
A couple of years ago, only an hour or so before flying out on a week’s holiday in New York with my partner, I suddenly realised that we had no travel insurance. No problem, I thought, I’ll just go and buy one from one of the counters at the airport.
A few minutes later and almost £70 lighter, I had my travel insurance, valid for just those six-and-a-bit days. Given that each year we go abroad several times, weekends included, this was a complete waste of money.

For almost the same amount, it is now possible to buy an annual policy, valid for a family and two children, travelling worldwide as many times as one wishes over a full 12 months. A little more foresight would have spared me that £60.
Confession over – let’s turn to what you should be doing.

Do you need travel insurance?
While travelling within the European Economic Area (including EC countries, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway), you are entitled to reciprocal state-provided health services by taking with you a form called E111, available from all Post Offices.
You must get the form stamped at the Post Office before you leave.
Remember, the level of treatment you will receive is based on what the state provides its own residents, which may not always be what you could expect here in the UK. In other non-EEA countries, of course, even this minimum may not apply.
There are, however, more limited reciprocal medical treatment agreements with some non-EEA countries.
Meanwhile, an E111 form will not provide for immediate repatriation in the event of serious injury. Yet the cost of an air ambulance from Spain to the UK alone can be as much as £9,000.
By the way, if you require ongoing treatment for an existing condition within the EEA, you should obtain form E112 from the Department of Health.
The cover will require medical authorisation. Remember to check any exclusions in each country you are visiting.
Moreover, travel insurance is not only about health. It also covers issues such as liability to third parties, theft, loss of personal possessions, flight cancellation and so on.
So if in doubt, travel insurance is a must. The question is of what type and where to buy it from.
Travel operators or your own cover?
A staggering 80 per cent of people take out insurance offered by travel agents when they book their holiday.
Yet research shows that holidaymakers waste up to £250 million a year buying their cover this way. The Research Department (TRD), an independent organisation, last year found travel insurance cost up to twice as much when booked through an operator instead of being bought separately.
Part of the reason for this is that some travel agents use high-pressure sales techniques to ensure customers buy their insurance products.
For example, five years ago the Monopolies and Mergers Commission banned the practice of making discounted holidays conditional on taking out insurance.
But one new tactic employed by travel agents is to tell customers they will not make a holiday booking unless they have proof of insurance. However, it is completely legal to travel without insurance, although many people are unaware of the regulations.
If someone tries it on with you, explain very politely to the agent that you would like to have his or her name so that you can report them and their company to the Office of Fair Trading, which polices this type of sales activity.
One additional point to remember is that insurance sold through a travel operator is subject to insurance premium tax at 17.5 per cent. If bought through a broker or directly from an insurance company it falls to 5 per cent.
Annual or single travel policy
Most of us tend to think of travel insurance in relation to large holidays we take, possibly once or twice a year. Yet the explosion of cheap air fares means far more people travel abroad than ever before.
Hardly surprisingly, figures from the Foreign Office show that while 13 per cent of UK residents fail to take out adequate insurance in relation to all travel abroad, this rises to 43 per cent of travellers who go on short breaks.
It is just as possible to suffer an accident or a theft during a weekend in Venice, Barcelona or Prague as it is in a two-week break in Greece, Spain or France. If you are likely to be travelling abroad more than once a year, it makes sense to take out annual cover.
Which policy to buy
At this point, you’re probably thinking: “Right, I know I need annual travel cover, where do I get it?”
Patience. Before you buy, here are a few more things to consider (in no particular order).
Pre-existing medical conditions: if you have one, you must inform your insurer before taking out the policy or you may not be covered when you travel abroad. When looking for cover, a simple tip is to contact the support organisation related to your medical condition: they will know who can offer insurance.
How long you will be travelling abroad. Most annual travel insurance policies won’t cover you for more than 31 days at a time, so if you are planning to stay away for longer, you may need a specific policy that allows you to do that. There are several types of ‘backpacker’ policy available, but be aware that they cost more.
Winter sports: increasing numbers of people want to ski for a couple of weeks. Not only is it important to have a certain amount of ski cover, but if you intend to take part in certain ‘intensive’ winter sports (off-piste skiing or tobogganing, for example), make sure that too is covered. Also, if you are a regular skier, protection against theft of ski from roof racks, insurance against lack of snow or ski lifts being closed and so on, also matter. Specialist insurance may be necessary.
Many policies don’t cover ‘extreme sports’, such as microlighting, mountaineering or parachuting, so always check.
Travelling separately. If you and your partner make different overseas trips, you will want protection for this. Not all policies offer this, so ask.
Cover for older people is sometimes harder to obtain. Most of the main insurers don’t offer annual policies to older travellers as they tend to travel more often. And, because they’re perceived to be in greater risk of needing medical help when travelling abroad, they are thought to be more likely to make claims. Some set the cut-off age as low as 65, while with others it’s 75. And that includes some of the insurers which focus on the over 50s market.
While Age Concern and Help the Aged set no age limit on annual policies, RIAS (Retirement Insurance Advisory Service), Insure and Go have an age limit of 75.
An exception among the mainstream insurers is Nationwide, which will cover travellers through both its single trip and annual policies up to the age of 99.
People with HIV may be surprised to learn that they too may not be able to obtain cover. Organisations like the Terrence Higgins Trust can help find a broker offering specialist policies.
Family definitions also matter. Some annual policies, such as the one offered will cover a family of two adults and two children up to the age of 18 years. A few extend this to age 19, or even older if still in higher education. Others simply cover adults under the age of 65 plus any number of children or grandchildren under 18 in full-time education living at the same address. Mind you, by that age your children may not want to go on holiday with you anyway.
In many cases, travel insurance duplicates cover you may already have available under the terms of your home contents policy. Some insurers offer a discount of up to 10-15 per cent for excluding certain items (camcorders, portable computers) from their travel cover. Make sure you ask.
Where to go for the right policy?
There are a number of key sources of travel insurance you may want to try.
First, for standard travel cover to suit most people, including extended breaks, you can use MSN Money’s quotation service.
Get a cheap travel insurance quote and buy online
You can also find links to travel insurance sites by using MSN Search
Below are other sites that offer more specialist services: – for extreme sports travel insurance
For older readers, the site has details of a number of different policies that may help
If the worst comes to the worst
One of the things that people rarely bargain with is what happens when you need to make a claim. All insurers and brokers claim to have simple claims handling systems and not to put unnecessary obstacles in the way of claims.
This is not always true. If you have a complaint to make about your claim, it should first be made to your insurer or broker.
Should you fail to reach agreement, you can go to the Financial Ombudsman Service, which has a wealth of detail on the grounds for complaining as well as how to do so.
Visit the Ombudsman site for more information
As for me, my holiday this summer is likely to be spent in horizontal fashion on a beach. It’ll be all the more relaxing knowing that I didn’t get ripped off on my travel insurance this time.

Join our newsletter to keep updates via email


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s